Sunday, February 24, 2013

The Beginning of a Journey

I'm so very excited to be starting my own blog.  I am not a writer by nature so this blog won't be filled with grand writings, but rather a diary of things I hope to accomplish in my homemaking.

I am not new to homemaking.  No, not at all.  I'm a wife, mother of two grown daughters, mother in law to one (so far), and grandmother to two of the most gorgeous grandchildren ever!  If I do say so myself.  So, homemaking is something I've been doing for quite a few years. 

I love things of old.  As a matter of fact, my all time favorite blog, The Apron Revolution, is about a lady who started in 2009 living as a 1950's housewife.  She truly encompasses the 50's housewife and brings her to life. I love it!  I also love the Amish.  I am not an Amish wannabe, I could never live without electricity.  And let's be honest, makeup and curling irons, but I love the Amish simplicity.  I love that they get up in the morning and they work and live.  They aren't glued to TVs, computers, and cell phones all day.  (Although, while visiting Holmes County I did see an Amish man with blue tooth!  True story!)  I think my fascination with yesteryear isn't that I don't enjoy the modern world more than I want to step back to real living.  Not virtual living.  I think of the commercial where the girl is speaking of her parents not living, all the while they're out on some adventure, and she's on Facebook.  "I have 600 friends on Facebook.  Now this is living."  And even though that is supposed to be funny, it has become sadly true of so many, including myself.  Yes, I'm a Nana on Facebook.

Throughout the day I find myself wanting to check my Facebook over and over.  I'll make the bed then get on Facebook and see what's happening.  I'll start the laundry then see if anyone updated their status.  It's sad, really. 

One of the things I hope to accomplish through this blog is to hold myself accountable and document my progress for how I'm going to take my life back to real living.  No more watching Little House on the Prairie episodes and wishing I could be Ma.  No more watching I Love Lucy and drooling over crinoline and pearls.  I'm going to live those dreams of mine instead of watching them and wishing!

Donna over at The Apron Revolution shared a post on scheduling.  She mentions a NEEDS list and a WISH list.  It's a very detailed post and I learned so much from it and I plan to implement something similar.  I think it would help so much with losing many hours in my day to frivolous TV watching and endless texting and computer time.  I may be a Nana, but I can keep up with the electronic savvy youth of our day!  Although, I'm not so sure that's something to brag about!

So, while I ponder how I shall begin I hope I pick up a few readers along the way who will encourage me and maybe even learn a thing or two from this Wife, Mom, and Nana.

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to your blog starting up. I have been a reader of 50's Times for quite a while.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment, offer suggestions, or just chat. However, remember this is my blog, with my own thoughts and opinions so please refrain from harsh or unkind words. They aren't necessary and won't be tolerated.